We all make uttapams with rice flour or sooji , chillas with besan or dals and pancakes with wheat flour but I’m pretty sure most of us have never tried using maize flour to make any of these! The reason for this is probably because the most common maize dish we’re familiar with is a very dry makkai roti with saag and this has influenced our decision to use or lose maize. But I guarantee that today’s recipe is sure to change your mind and open your heart to maize flour – Maize Flour Pancakes!
- Maize flour – 1 bowl
- Wheat flour – 1 bowl
- Milk – ½ bowl
- Egg – 1 (optional)
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Butter – 1 teaspoon
- Ghee – 1 teaspoon
1. Mix all the ingredients together and make a batter of pouring consistency.
2. In a pan add ghee and butter and let it melt.
3. Pour 1 spoonful of batter and let it fry till it turns golden brown in color. Flip it over and let it cook on the other side.
4. Serve with gur / jaggery or any saag or vegetable.
I admit I was apprehensive before I had these, but when I did, I was hooked. The pancakes are very filling and tasty – even my picky eater had it with greens and jaggery! Now I’m waiting for you to try them too!