Did you ever receive a rice cooker in a secret santa gift exchange?
I did. Upon receiving I was skeptical. However, I wish I had known what a great gift I had just been given!
It wasn’t until years later that a friend taught me about the the beauty of rice cooker cookery. The basics- just put it in there, rice, vegetables and spices. Done, let it cook into a glorious, grounding, healthy one-pot meal.
Below you have a simple Vata-Pitta pacifying healthy rice cooker recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 1/3 cups brown basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium sweet potato, roughly chopped
- 2 small yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 1/2 bunch of kale, washed, stripped of the stalk and torn in small pieces
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in the rice cooker and set to “Cook”. Forget about it, read your favorite book, call your best friend, take a bath and watch the sunset. Come back to the kitchen after about an hour.
- Scoop into your favorite bowl. Perhaps garnish with a tablespoon of ghee or coconut oil. Add salt to taste. If you have a “cold” constitution, add some spicy condiment to the bowl (my favorite is sriracha) and mix it up.
This healthy rice cooker recipe is a perfect simple meal after wild weekend extravaganzas. Easy, healthy and relaxing! A great addition to your Ayurveda routine.
KNOW YOUR AYURVEDIC TYPE: Take Our Free Ayurveda Test